Sunday closing…

Is Norway so different to Australia?

It is not a simple question to answer. Sure, we have similarities, but also there are things that are so very different between my two home countries.  Because of this reason, I have decided to break it down into bits and pieces!

One of the first things that struck me when I arrived was that there was nothing open on a Sunday…. This seemed so “old fashioned” initially, as I had lived in two different countries, and done some traveling, but had never before experienced the “closing” of a country on the weekend.

dreamstime_m_33345426

So, what do Norwegians do on a Sunday if they need to do some shopping? Drive to Sweden of course!  We are lucky to live only 40 minutes’ drive from the Swedish border, so if we feel the need to shop with the rest of Norway, we will take a “tur” there on a Sunday. Otherwise, we do what many others do, and that is shop frantically on a Saturday and then enjoy Sunday with the family!

The other side of Sunday closing, is that it is a very family oriented day!  Families “gå på tur” i.e. go for walks in nature, meet up with other families, and are generally together on this day!  So, when looking at it from this direction, Sunday closing is a pretty good thing!

I am now accustomed to Sunday closing, although that doesn´t mean I am always prepared for it. There are times that we need to drive to the little “søndagsåpentbutikk” (the small part of a food shop that has a limited amount of stock available and has limited opening hours), to shop for things that we desperately need for the day!

I am still undecided about where I stand on Sunday opening, as I can see both sides of the picture, and I have adjusted my life around it, but I do know that I really enjoy family time on Sundays!

What are your thoughts?

Hugs,

Karen

Sorry We´re closed image: Johnson175 | Dreamstime.com – <a href=”https://www.dreamstime.com/royalty-free-stock-image-sorry-re-closed-sign-hanging-outside-cafe-image33345426#res13032059″>Sorry We\’re Closed</a>

7 thoughts on “Sunday closing…

1. Margaret June 15, 2017 / 7:41 am

One can do without Sunday shopping if the planning is right!!, I sometimes wonder if shopping has become another Hobby!!! .. love your blogs Karen!!!

Liked by 1 person

• karengranlund June 15, 2017 / 7:47 am

Thanks Margaret. I think you are correct, for some it certainly is a hobby..

2. yogafrue June 15, 2017 / 8:05 am

I am used to it so its no problem for me. But I wouldnt mind if the stores where open on sundays, many times it also would be easier – no need to plan the sunday dinner on saturday…:)

Liked by 1 person

• karengranlund June 15, 2017 / 9:13 am

So true. Often it comes to Saturday afternoon & we realise that we have to think about Sunday too! Just means more weekly meal planning 😉

• yogafrue June 15, 2017 / 9:14 am

Yes, but its ok when you are used to it 😊

3. sandrainnorge June 16, 2017 / 10:00 am

Haha, Karen you are great! I lived in the States and thought it was always sooo weird to have opening times on Sundays. Almost the whole day. I always felt so very sorry with the people who have to work at that day. Or at night. WHO SHOPS AT NIGHT? My point of view is of course very European. I do think it is fine to have a closed day so everyone can rest. Is it old fashioned? Maybe, but it brings a calmness into the week and gives you the opportunity to do really something together. Something uncommercial, quality time together. To relax before the new working week starts again.

That is my very “old fashioned” point of view ;-). And of course I understand the other side as well. I do love to have 25 holidays instead of 10 or none like in the USA. And I do love the weekends.

I really like to read your point of view. It is great to see your side!

Liked by 1 person

• karengranlund June 16, 2017 / 10:22 am

Thanks for your input Sandra! It is great to see what others think about it 🙂